Quickly learn which Medicare-approved CPT codes for telehealth services can be billed for mental health providers.
Medicare-Approved Codes 2021
As of December 27, 2020, Medicare has updated their 2021 Physician Fee Schedule. In short, this means that Medicare has updated their reimbursements for Telehealth through 2021. In this article, you will find information on the Medicare Approved CPT Codes for Telehealth in 2021.
Having trouble understanding how to work with Medicare? Reach out to us to learn more about how our billing services can help!
What’s Approved for Telehealth?
- 90791 – Psych Diagnostic Evaluation
- 90792 – Psych Diagnostic Evaluation with Medical Services
- 90832 – Psychotherapy, 30 minutes
- 90833 – Psychotherapy with Evaluation and Management, 30 minutes
- 90834 – Psychotherapy, 45 minutes
- 90836 – Psychotherapy with Evaluation and Management, 45 minutes
- 90837 – Psychotherapy, 60 minutes
- 90838 – Psychotherapy with Evaluation and Management, 60 minutes
- 90839 – Psychotherapy for Crisis, 60 minutes
- 90840 – Psychotherapy for Crisis, additional 30 minutes
- 90845 – Psychoanalysis
- 90846 – Family Psychotherapy, 50 minutes (without patient present)
- 90847 – Family Psychotherapy, 50 minutes (with patient present)
- 90853 – Group Psychotherapy
Additionally, all of the above CPT codes are eligible to be covered by Medicare if Audio-only appointments are held.
How to Bill Medicare for Telehealth Services
Make sure to use place of service code 11 (instead of 02) and the 95 modifier for your CPT codes! Read more about how to bill for telehealth services.
What Can I Expect for CY 2021?
Medicare provided a 3.75% increase in MPFS payments for CY 2021.